Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Question Answered and A Spousal Unit Tweak

I received a comment about having a Gal Pal visit and take some of the Dreaded Basement's contents. ECM asked how do I do that? I'll get to that soon, but first a little info.

I am a major "Pack Rat." I was forced, in a prior life (Active Duty Military) to clean out extraneous STUFF every three to four years in order to move and "make weight." Not making weight is bad, really, really bad. And very expensive.

Well, we have been here for 16 years and I hate to do the yard sale thing and sell really good stuff for a pittance. So I just take the good stuff, that is too good to get rid of, but I am not using right now, down into what became the "Dreaded Basement."

The basement became the "Dreaded Basement" when we learned that we are really making the move to Germany. We will not make weight. Actually, we do not have a weight limit this time. We have a cubic foot limit. Let me tell you I have so much stuff, that will we will not make the limit requirements.

So every weekend, I go down to said basement and sort through the stuff and get ruthless. Having a girlfriend with me helps. Area by area I am cleaning out the basement. I then usually post offerings on the Freecycle and Recycle networks. I am giving away my stuff. I have met some really nice people who are just down on their luck, at the moment and just need a hand up.

I have also met some people that obviously are in it for the buck. You know the type. They show up at your yard sale and con you down to pennies and a week later you walk into a consignment shop or antique shop and see your stuff on sale for big bucks.

Anyway this being the Internet, sometimes I can not tell the difference by the tone of the responses and then I obligate to the gift and when I meet them it is too late. I just put those people in my "Yucky People" folder. I consult the folder prior to gifting the next gifts.

The girl friends that come to help me be ruthless, always get first dibs.

I get a cleaned out house and I get to feel like Santa Claus. Both are a really good feelings.

*Spousal Unit tweak. I forgot to forward his latest update home. I will give you an update tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so much more than just Christmas!!!!

Kim said...

If you have a king size headboard or tall skinny table I can use as a nightstand, I'll take it off your hands.

I like your Freecycle idea. Very generous.

krysta said...

I think you have good junk that people want.

She Who said...

Kim and Krysta,
Thanks for the comments. Yah, I have some good stuff that's why I put it in the Dreaded basement.

Krysta, it is not JUNK it is stuff. Stop listening to that bad Spousal Unit.

Kim, If you contact me off site at my email address I can provide some assistance on your request.