Friday, March 14, 2008

Pie Day

For pie day I wanted to let you all in on my family's favorite. Coconut Cream Pie.

I also wanted to go all, ala Food Bloggie site with pictures and do the step-by-step making of the pie.

Unfortunately or fortunately, I do not have the patience to do the step-by-step picture thingee.... but I wanted to.

I also do not have my camera or USB card reader cable at the moment. Spousal Unit has it in Germany. Not that he has sent pictures he has taken for me to show you anything.

So please bear with me as I share my recipe and the one really tastie looking slice.

I created this recipe based on a McCall's Cook Book I found in a thrift store. I collect old cookbooks and while leafing through this one I found a vanilla meringue pie. Sounded good except for the meringue on top. I also wanted to Amp up the flavor and added fresh grated coconut to the cream pie and the whipped cream topping.
Prep:
Go buy a coconut. Make sure coconut has plenty of coconut juice by shaking vigorously. In the garage have on of the messy boys bang holes, with a cross-point screw driver, into the three eyes of the coconut. Get bowl or glass and drain the coconut juice. (I stress this because a couple of times the messy boys forgot to get a bowl and I can tell you that coconut juice gets sticky on the garage floor). After the coconut is drained, have the messy boys get a hammer and bang the coconut to break the shell. Hopefully, they do not bang too often or too hard because large pieces of coconut are desired. At this point "She who"takes over.

Using a vegatable parer, pare off the brown skin on the coconut. When all pieces have been pared, shred coconut in the food processor on the finest shredding blade. Experience has also taught that Spousal Unit does not like dental floss coconut.

Now the fun begins:

9-inch baked pie shell

Filling:

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

2 1/2 cups milk - I usually mix half heavy cream and half milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 egg yolks, slightly beaten

1 Tablespoon butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping:

2 cups of heavy whipped cream

2-3 teaspoons of sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


  1. Prepare and bake pie shell; let cool

  2. Make filling: In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt; mix well.

  3. Gradually stir in milk, mixing until smooth.

  4. Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring; boil one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

  5. Stir half of hot mixture into egg yolks, mixing well; pour back into saucepan.

  6. Bring back to boiling, stirring constantly; boil one minute longer and remove from heat.

  7. Stir in butter and vanilla add a handful of coconut or what ever is your preference. Save some for topping the whipped cream.

  8. Pour mixture into cooled pie shell.

  9. Cool the pie in fridge while making the whipped topping.

  10. In a large bowl mix the heavy cream and sugar. With a large wisk - wisk, and wisk, and wisk. My arms hurt but I prefer the control I have over the consistancy.

  11. Wisk until right before the desired consistancy of whipped cream is acheived. Add the vanilla and wisk a little more.

  12. Slather on the cooled cream pie and sprinkle the remaining coconut on top.

* Saves well in the fridge if plastic wrap is applied. That is if there are any leftovers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. Can I eat the photo? Coconut Pie is my favorite and yours looks too good to be true. Leftovers? No way.

I went for Pecan Pie on 3-14 because I'm lazy that way. You get the award for most scrumptious looking pie.

Mayberry Magpie
www.mayberrymagpie.com

Anonymous said...

Bravo on the use of the fresh coconut!! Your pie looks so delicious and smooth and beautiful and ....awesome!

Anonymous said...

That looks like an awesome pie! And your spousal unit misses out for taking the camera and NOT sharing photos :)