Saturday, March 22, 2008

Oh, the Joy of It All

I'm a little down today.

Spousal Unit has started working with the Relocation people. He just received a message concerning the preparation required for the move. We must inventory everything that we own and assign a value to each item.

We normally do this type of inventory for any move we make.

I go around the house and pull my Stuff out of the china cabinet or storage drawers and take pictures. I, being the Good "Pack Rat" that I am, have all the original sales receipts. Spousal Unit, the methodical financial wizard that he is, files them all down in individual files sorted by the type of Stuff.

Being the former Military Spouse Pack Rat that I am, I also have the original boxes to pack Stuff for the anticipated move. For instance, I still have the box for the Grandfather clock that Spousal Unit bought for me as a college graduation gift 25 years ago.

OK, back from the tangent to the Relocation people message.

On the form there are line items for sofas, lamps, tables, chairs etc. the normal type of items one would include on an inventory.

This form Amps it up and has lines for the number of suits, slacks, shirts, ties, number of socks, and underwear.

Spousal Unit sent a message back to the Relocation people requesting clarification of the original message.

The response was very similar to the original message.

My gee, golly, jumping up and down from the sheer joy....... of counting every pair of socks and pieces of underwear in the house and assigning a replacement value for it.

I'm going back down to the basement now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to inventory socks?!? It'll be funny when you end up with an odd number for those. 'Cause everyone knows the dryer eats the occasional sock.

Good luck with it all. Did you have fun with the spousal unit?

She Who said...

Meg,
Yes, we had fun. Had a conversation for about 45 minutes and then he fell asleep. Poor guy was on the road for 26 hours. He is really Psyched about the job and the possible house we may rent.

Kim said...

Wow. I'm impressed you have receipts and boxes. I generally wind up keeping what I don't need and pitching what I will eventually need.