Monday, March 10, 2008

Monday Ramblings and Updates

Woke up late this morning. I went to bed late last night and the ole body wanted its normal eight hours; that along with losing an hour this weekend to Daylight Savings didn't help. Spring is coming. Woo Hoo! (Sorry, I got off subject).

I woke up late because Spousal Unit tries to be kind and turns the alarm off on Friday evenings hoping that I will sleep later than 5:00am on weekends.

Now, I remembered to change the time on all the clocks. Except the VCR 'cause I don't know how. If I was interested enough I would figure it out, but I'm not. I sure hope the TIVO is automatic cause I still don't know how to work it much less changing any of the settings. (Sorry, another tangent).

Anyway, I did all the stuff the Spousal Unit usually does but I forgot to turn on the alarm. My bad, sorta. He does spoil me, a lot. So....some stuff I just don't think about doing until its too late. Like waking up at 6:30 this morning and running really late for work. The alarm is now turned back on and all I can do is hope the body has adjusted and I am smart enough to go to bed in a timely manner.

Besides, its his fault anyway, he's not here.

Talking about sleep and stuff, here is an update to the Moving to Germany Saga:

Spousal Unit's First Full Day in Germany

I survived my first day of Grip and Grin. (Meeting colleagues) Tomorrow is round 2.

Today's accomplishments included: opening my savings and checking accounts; meeting a bunch of people (some of whom I might remember); and getting a tour of the area. Tomorrow is introduction at the staff meeting, and 2 other meetings. I will also try to contact former secretary and good friend tomorrow.

I tried starting the work with housing referral, but they need a letter verifying that I will be working here. I got the letter this afternoon at 1530 (3:30); just before it started raining. I hope to initiate the research tomorrow afternoon. OBTW, I was wondering. Do you have a preference about living in a town (with markets, banks, restaurants), or in a village (usually without those amenities)? Not sure, both are good options, depends on the house.

I did have my first currywurst, and I was disappointed. They have a schnitzel stand at the BX, but they serve only weiss wurst. I asked, and the lady said she is not allowed to serve rote. (Currywurst is a sausage very similar to and worlds apart from Polish sausage, topped with ketchup and lots of curry powder). Weiss is a mild pork sausage and Rote is a beef sausage. Germany must have hundreds of types and all I have eaten are wonderful).

I had also forgotten about landlords turning the heat off at night. I woke up at some time around midnight, and I was roasting under the duvet. (The Hotels have thick feather duvets and no sheets. It is really a roast or freeze situation for many Americans who are used to having blankets. He should have opened a window). I threw it off, and froze. I tried the half-and-half solution, but that didn't work either. I might wear a shirt tonight. I need to get more than 4 hours of sleep. I think it will be an early night for me (8???).

I'll send more tomorrow. Love you.

More to follow, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Sending greetings from the USofA. Keep us posted on the developments, especially the culinary kind.

She Who said...

Hey Kim,
I am still in the States. Spousal Unit is in Germany on a fact finding, meet all the players, and find us a house trip.
He will be gone for two weeks and I am keeping all my readers informed of his adventures through his emails with my commentary added for clarification.
Trust me, when I get over there I will keep you all informed. Schnitzels, warm broetchen from the bakeries.etc.