Monday, November 24, 2008

Guten Appetit

We opted to go to Spousal Unit's favorite Greek joint for dinner this weekend. Restaurant Athens. He started with the retsina. Retsina is a Greek white wine that tastes like Pine Sol because it is aged in pine casks. Served very cold, the taste grows on you. Like a fungus. Actually, after a glass or two it isn't too bad. But it is definitely an acquired taste.

I chose to have a pils. Bright, crisp, and tasty. I love a good German pils.
Our salads came at just the right time. I was hungry.


For the main course we both chose souvlaki. A shish kabob, grilled to perfection. The meat is pork and so tender and succulent that it had to have been brined. I need to ask next time we go there.
I also decided that I wanted spaetzle (Egg noodles, boiled and then sauteed in butter) rather than the normal pommes frites. (French fries). The white sauce is tzaziki. A yogurt, cucumber, garlic sauce. The sauce was OK, but I like my home made better.

And no, I didn't eat it all.

2 comments:

The Super Goop said...

As Rachel Ray would say, "Looks Yummo!"
Love Reen

Unknown said...

Mmmm, spaetzle.