I just don't love having to shop in the BX, the military's version of a department store. There is little variety of anything. Their choices for clothing is either... it falls apart after the first washing or designer clothing.
I went looking for a pair of jeans. $50.00 for a pair of no name, can't choose the style, take it or leave it pair of jeans. The store shouts at me, "Hey, be glad we have a pair in your size." The BX can hold you hostage on stuff like this.
Shopping in the local German stores is fun. But, very expensive. The Euro is very strong against the dollar and makes shopping a luxury at times.
My understanding of German is coming back but I am far from fluent and lugging around a translating dictionary is cumbersome.
I am on a shopping trip. Actually, I am here to attend a wedding. But, the shopping is like a friend with benefits.
I am shopping for some really needed items that I just haven't been able to find in Germany. Stupid stuff, really. Needed, stupid stuff.
I started putting together a list when I realized that I would be returning for the wedding.
- Vicks Vapor Cream not the rub. The cream is greaseless and works better.
- Measuring Spoons. the ones at the BX are yucky and the European ones are sized differently.
- Jeans and a couple of turtlenecks.
- Gypsy Cold Care. An herbal tea that really works when you are sick.
- Reading Glasses. Just cheaters really, but I am finding that I need a stronger pair.
- Cook top cleaner for glass.
- Vegetable seeds for my garden this Spring.
- Hair Mousse. Of course I use a brand that isn't carried.
- Chef Boyardee pizza sauce. I love the stuff. For homemade strombolli and dipping mozzarella sticks.
I found some awesome high thread count sheets and a new set of towels, all for 75% off. I also found a bird feeder pole that will hold three different feeders. The bird feeders in Germany that I have seen are shaped like a chalet house on a stand that sits on the patio. I haven't found any shephard's crooks, that I am used to having, for the type of bird feeders normally found in the States.
My shopping is done now and I am in the process of helping with the last minute details for the wedding. I get to be the "Hey Girl" and do all the running while the bridal party gets to practice being bridal.
So the shopping is done. Well, done till I hit Southern California with my SMIL.